mercoledì 8 aprile 2009

Return to Windy City

I went to Chicago (again). I presented a paper that people liked a lot. I got to hang out with my brothers.
Some highlights:


Chicago's skyline.


The Palmer House Hotel, with its ornate lobby and famous peacock door.
Behind that door were thousands of political scientists, many of whom were practically indistinguishable from peacocks.
Robbie and I played "Points for Pipes and Tweed." He won.


Heaven on Seven, a Cajun restaurant with many hot sauces, none of which I tried.
The crabcakes and gumbo were excellent, though.


Marshall Fields (sigh, Macy's) State Street Store--a cathedral of consumerism and home of an FAO Schwarz store with (very expensive) man-eating dinosaurs.





It was right next to the dinosaurs that I got to sing along (in harmony) to "Everybody Plays the Fool" in the bathroom with another handwasher.
Apparently Chicagoans like to sing in public places, since I also got to sing "You're So Vain" with other CVS shoppers.
This may partially make up for missing a much-anticipated entire night dedidcated to soft rock hits.


The Museum of Contemporary Art, with its lofty exhibit on Buckminster Fuller of "Bucky Ball" fame.

1 commento:

L ha detto...

Sounds like a great trip! Evan has gotten so tall!