Of course, this got me thinking. What is it about chick flicks?
After a day of watching Much Ado About Nothing (my all-time favorite adaptation of Shakespeare--can you beat Kenneth Branaugh and Emma Thompson?), Emma (fluff, but the costumes are great), and Pride and Prejudice (don't worry, Comptron, not the Colin Firth version), I decided to weigh in on the question.
As a consequence of at least 8 minutes of pondering, I have two serious answers to why girls like chick flicks, at least of the Enduring Masterworks of the English Language sort that I watched today. There are, of course, less serious reasons too, but those already get all of the press.
1) In all of these films, there are significant misunderstandings or miscommunications or misjudgements between the heroes and heroines. There are also strong doses of dramatic irony. These threaten to torpedo what would otherwise be happy matches.
I think this speaks deeply to the female psyche--we often fear that some inadvertent misunderstanding is going to scare off the man of our dreams, or that something beyond our control is undermining our best efforts, or that we lack the right information to judge a situation properly. Furthermore, we worry that if we say the wrong thing (or say the right thing at the wrong time) or laugh too hard (or don't laugh hard enough) or reveal our insecurities (or fail to reveal our insecurities) or pursue him too much (or pursue him too little) or in any other way communicate an imperfect message, then he will lose interest. These stories reassure us that love--and meaningful relationships in general--is a little more forgiving and resilient than that.
2) In Much Ado, Balthasar sings "Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more/ Men were deceivers ever/One foot in sea and one on shore/ To one thing constant never..." and advises women to give up on hoping for a stable, committed relationship and just be "blithe and bonny." But, of course, in these chick flicks the men do come around to being genuinely head-over-heels in love with their ladies.
Despite our best efforts at being optimistic, we women sometimes worry if Balthasar isn't right. Relational commitment isn't always men's strongest suit, we've noticed. So really, chick flicks are a way of reaffirming the possibility that men can fall in love enough to commit, thereby breathing hope into what might otherwise be a rather dim view of mankind.
-------------------------------------
But, you may protest, chick flick gentlemen set the standard way too high. They are suave and courtly and go to extreme measures to win their ladies. They are unrealistic, not to mention unmanly.
I freely grant that that is true of many romantic comedies. However, Benedick and Mr. Darcy have serious, um, personality imperfections. That the ladies manage to see past this should be reassuring. I would also like to add that these stories of imperfect woo-ers are the chick flicks that have a couple hundred years of staying power behind them, as opposed to the lame Hollywood ones with perfect but vapid suitors. We don't mind that you guys aren't always debonair; we just want you to try occasionally.
Finally, for heaven's sake, don't you want to be madly in love with someone, at least around the time that you propose? And, if that involves buying some flowers or getting down on one knee, who cares? It's okay to sometimes make us women happy in the ways that are especially meaningful to us. We'll do our best to return the favor.
.jpg)
2 commenti:
The last few paragraphs remind me of a certain comment during a certain relief society lesson. I'm sure I told you about that. I'd rather not revisit the details for the wider public.
I personally don't think it's such a big deal that chick flicks picture somewhat unrealistic standards for potential suitors, because they also picture unrealistic standards for dress (most of my wardrobe isn't anywhere near as pretty as a Jane Austen heroine's), houses, country scenery, etc. I think the point is to escape the very real frustrations of a real life by spending an hour or two in fairyland where all is, if not perfect, at least perfectly charming. It's a nice place to visit, but who would want to live like that?
Besides, in the real world, I'm charmed much more by a small gesture of kindness or an awkward first show of affection than I ever could be by bouquets or fancy speeches.
That "hundreds of years of staying power" comment caught my eye. Maybe my english teacher led me astray, but at least part of the book can be read as a commentary on how vapid victorian society was--that there were people pining away like that.
Regardless, it reminds me of one of my favorite poems about the misunderstandings and the love between men and women (couldn't find a link, just paste it in below):
After Forty Years of Marriage, She Tries a New Recipe for Hamburger Hot Dish
by Leo Dangel
"How did you like it?" she asked.
"It's all right," he said.
"This is the third time I cooked
it this way. Why can't you
ever say if you like something?"
"Well if I didn't like it, I
wouldn't eat it," he said.
"You never can say anything
I cook tastes good."
"I don't know why all the time
you think I have to say it's good.
I eat it, don't I?"
"I don't think you have to say
all the time it's good, but once
in awhile you could say
you like it."
"It's all right," he said.
Posta un commento